
Today I was writing a paper on children's literature and wondered what the difference was between a Caldecott Honor and a Caldecott Medal award was. Well, I looked it up of course. Turns out the Caldecott Honor citation means they were basically one of the few "runners-up", but the Medal is given only to one picture book each year. It was first awarded in 1938. Now the Newbery award is similar. The Newbery Honor citation is again, to a few of the "runners-up" and the Medal is the top one, of which there is only one a year. It was first awarded in 1922.
So, now I have a goal. I am going to purchase and read each of the books on the list of winners. This of course will take a few years, since it is both a time consuming and expensive project, but I think it will be awesome. Why not just borrow them from the library? Because what a great beginning of a library to have in my home for my children someday. I mean, I already have quite a few books, but this would really give me a great foundation on which to build a library for my future family. And, in the meantime, it'll give me something to read. :)

2 comments:
You're just too cute! Did you do all of that when you were avoiding homework?? ;)
What a noble goal. I officially endorse Chewie's goal by prmising to mock her everytime I see The Cat Who Went to Heaven (1931 Newbery winner.) After all, we all know where cats go after death.
Post a Comment