Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mysterious Ways...

Today I was having a bit of a rough morning. This is mostly due to the fact that I am exhausted! It’s been a long and stressful week and I have not had nearly enough sleep. I am a very emotional person in general, but when I’m tired, this characteristic is exponentially worse. This is compounded by the fact that I have a lot on my plate these days and I’m feeling totally overwhelmed. My “to do” list is getting longer much quicker than I am crossing things off the list. Well…getting to my point… I was reading a friend's blog and he had a post about the Balm of Gilead. I am a research addict, so this led me to do a little research on the Balm of Gilead. As I began to search I came upon a conference talk of Boyd K. Packer’s from back in 1977. You can read it by clicking here. Interestingly enough, he had such a good response from the talk that he nearly repeated it a decade later. You can read that talk by clicking here (they are different enough at the beginning to make it worth your while to check them both out, at least in my opinion).

Side note...I also remember it being mentioned in a movie I watched back in college called "Spitfire Grill". Random.

Well, I read the talk and it was just what I needed today. Whether it was something in the talk itself, or just the Spirit and the way it refocuses my mind on what really matters, reminds me that God has my back, and brings much needed peace, I don’t know…but I have felt much calmer since. Thanks Micah, you answered my prayers today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, YOU answered my prayers today. I appreciate you sharing the talk, and I've been left to ponder deeply my own personal "balm of Gilead"s in life.

Anonymous said...

Don't you love how that works!

Anonymous said...

This is funny. You know what happens in my brain when you say "balm of Gilead"? You crack me up.