Friday, October 24, 2008

Brilliant!

Sometimes I read things and think, "genius! I wish I'd thought of that!". Well friends, let me give you two of my favorite examples of true stories I wish were about me... (truthfully, I've envied these two for years!)

Let me introduce you to David Phillips, a civil engineer at UC-Davis. He purchased $3,150 worth of Healthy Choice pudding cups (for the record, that buys 12,150 pudding cups) and redeemed them for 1.2 million airline miles. He donated the pudding to the Salvation Army and was able to claim an $815 tax credit. You can read more about him and his pudding by clicking here.

Next we have Mike Hayes, who at the time (1987) was a freshman at the University of Illinois. He wrote to a Chicago Tribune columnist asking him to ask each of his readers to send him a penny to help finance his college education. The response was great and sure enough, he ended up with the $28,000 he needed for school. You can read more about Mike by clicking here.

Well, today I came upon a news story that intrigued me like the two above and although I would never wish for this (unlike earning a lifetime supply of airline miles and money to pay for my education) I found it pretty entertaining.

Let me introduce Amy Borkowsky, a comedian who was "born single in New York City and has pretty much remained that way". She is trying to raise 3 million dollars to purchase an advertising spot during the Super Bowl. I mean seriously, she's got a point. Millions of men watch that game, not to mention all the moms and sisters who are trying to marry off the single men in their lives. Perhaps she won't be able to raise the 3 million, but she has already been mentioned in USA Today, The New York Post, and many other newspapers across America. For those who don't read the papers, TV has not been left out. She's even scheduled for The Tyra Banks Show shortly (this is where the moms and sisters come in). I am sure this is only the beginning. She will surely have enough publicity to get more dates than she can schedule. And (this appeals to me much more than the zillions of men) she is a comedian...and now everyone will know her name. Good move Borkowsky!

Check out her website (it's a funny read) by clicking here.

3 comments:

Mecqae said...

Hey buddy! WE have the same background right now. How fun is that!

Shuman X Seven said...

You are incredible... from scriptures to pudding. I just love you Jules!

Mimi said...

cool stories!