I stole this from a friend's blog (by the way, she also stole it from a friend's blog...which I had to check out because I'm a stalker...but she mentioned s'mores with nutella which sounds amazing and I'm going to try it "fo sho"...so look forward to that experience, family, at our reunion next week...woot!). Anyway, this little story hit me...not gonna lie.

A story is told of a caterpillar named Yellow who was trying to discover what she should do with her life. In her wanderings she came upon another caterpillar caught in some gauzy filament. Concerned, she asked if she could help. The other caterpillar explained that the filament was all a part of becoming a butterfly. When Yellow heard the word Butterfly, her whole insides leaped. "But what is a butterfly?" she asked. The cocooned caterpillar explained, "it’s what you are meant to become." Yellow was so intrigued but a bit defiant. "How can I believe there's a butterfly inside you or me when all I see is a fuzzy worm?" After further reflection she pensively asked, "How does one become a butterfly?" And the answer? "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

A story is told of a caterpillar named Yellow who was trying to discover what she should do with her life. In her wanderings she came upon another caterpillar caught in some gauzy filament. Concerned, she asked if she could help. The other caterpillar explained that the filament was all a part of becoming a butterfly. When Yellow heard the word Butterfly, her whole insides leaped. "But what is a butterfly?" she asked. The cocooned caterpillar explained, "it’s what you are meant to become." Yellow was so intrigued but a bit defiant. "How can I believe there's a butterfly inside you or me when all I see is a fuzzy worm?" After further reflection she pensively asked, "How does one become a butterfly?" And the answer? "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."
-Trina Paulus, Hope for the flowers
This story just made me think of our potential as possible gods and goddesses. It's hard to see that potential when all we see is a human, full of weaknesses and faults. But how do we become what we are meant to become? By wanting it so much that we are willing to give up what we are now. And I don't know, but I would bet that the process of becoming a butterfly all squished in that cocoon is not exactly comfortable or fun.
And hey...in relation to this holiday we are celebrating right this very minute...I am thankful for my pioneer ancestors. I am thankful that they were willing to give up who they were at the time to become something better. I am thankful that they chose to leave their comfort zone and suffer (like the cocoon you know?? I'm sticking with this metaphor!) so that I could enjoy the blessings of the gospel (including the knowledge of what I am meant to become). And especially lately, I am thankful for their example. I truly come from a lineage of greatness...and it's humbling at times. I hope I can live up to the legacy they left. I hope I can give up the person I am and become the person I'm meant to become...regardless of the cost.
This story just made me think of our potential as possible gods and goddesses. It's hard to see that potential when all we see is a human, full of weaknesses and faults. But how do we become what we are meant to become? By wanting it so much that we are willing to give up what we are now. And I don't know, but I would bet that the process of becoming a butterfly all squished in that cocoon is not exactly comfortable or fun.
And hey...in relation to this holiday we are celebrating right this very minute...I am thankful for my pioneer ancestors. I am thankful that they were willing to give up who they were at the time to become something better. I am thankful that they chose to leave their comfort zone and suffer (like the cocoon you know?? I'm sticking with this metaphor!) so that I could enjoy the blessings of the gospel (including the knowledge of what I am meant to become). And especially lately, I am thankful for their example. I truly come from a lineage of greatness...and it's humbling at times. I hope I can live up to the legacy they left. I hope I can give up the person I am and become the person I'm meant to become...regardless of the cost.

0 comments:
Post a Comment