Saturday, July 18, 2009

Relay For Life 2009

My sister-in-law decided to be a "yes woman" and say yes to everything she could reasonably do (bad idea, by the way). Well, this resulted in her creating a Relay For Life team. FYI...Relay For Life raises money to help fight cancer...great cause, right? So, anyway, she asked me to join her team...and I said no. Not because I didn't want to help, but because I'm non-committal. I'd rather say no and then show up to help anyway, then commit to something I can't do when the time comes (I've learned this from experience right?). So...a week before the relay, while celebrating one of my other sister-in-law's college graduation (YAY!! I'm so proud of you! insert photo of her at her celebratory lunch following commencement....

here ), my younger (and most ridiculous) brother states, "oh, Juli and I will take the 2 am - 4 am shift for you!" I of course piped in with a "WHAT?!?!?!?!?!" because really, who wants to walk laps for two hours at 2 in the morning? Well, as ridiculous as he is (I mean that lovingly of course) he replies, "are you PRO-CANCER??" Without a good rebuttle, I fell silent. As they say, silence is compliance, so yeah, I got roped into the craziness. By the way...I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was an amazing experience.

Now that you have the background...here are some photos...

Daisy with some Star Wars characters. Cost me $2 to have my dog's photo taken with them...but don't mock me, it was for a good cause! (Yeah, mock me and I'll know YOUR pro-cancer!) :)


And here, smiling at me in the middle of the photo, is Laura (and her cute daughter behind her). Laura is my neighbor and was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently undergoing treatments. You can read her story here. She was participating in the survivors lap (first lap of the relay). I saw a couple other ward members who were survivors as well, but was unable to catch photos in time. :(


And just for kicks and giggles...here is a photo of the flute/piccolo section of the marching band (best section ever!) leading the survivors in their lap.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I'm glad to hear you aren't pro-cancer. hehehe

That pic. is cool- my boys would have DIED to be there. They love star wars!

So I have the world's hardest time saying No. Even if I'm not sure I can commit fully and then I feel like a big fat jerk if I can't follow through. How do you say no? Seriously, what exactly do you say? What if they try to guilt you into it?

I must have issues. ROFL

Anonymous said...

Can you say no? I know you can! ha ha ha ha

I guess I have just gotten grouchy enough in my old age that saying no has become much easier. LOL

Becky said...

I can definitely say No, ask my kids. hahaha

I just have a hard time telling other adults no. I must be too nice. grrrr I'm working on it though. :-D