Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History

There have been times in my life that I remember vividly. Some of these have been personal moments, while others have been moments that I know my children and grandchildren will learn about in their history classes.

Although I was only in kindergarten when the Challenger exploded, I remember that day very clearly. I remember the feeling in the room as my little class watched it's launch with excitement. I remember the fear and confusion we felt when less than two minutes into the mission it exploded.
September 11 occurred during the first semester of my senior year of college. I remember driving home from school, since many of my classes were canceled, feeling like the world around me was crumbling. I remember sitting on my couch listening to my radio because it was early in the semester and my roommates and I had not yet called to hook up our cable. That entire day is etched in my mind. I can still remember how tangible the shock was. The air literally felt heavy.Today is one of those days. However, this time it isn't a disaster or tragedy, but a day to celebrate. I don't think it matters what your political views are, today is surely an historic day! Today I feel proud to be an American. I am amazed to see how far we have come in some very important ways. And... I will always remember that on this historic day, I witnessed the inauguration of the first African American president with a class of incredible 3rd graders. Awesome. I have to admit, I got a little teary-eyed!
I am so thankful to be alive in such an incredible time in history.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I basically cried through the whole thing. What a day.

Anonymous said...

I got a little teary-eyed as well! It was so neat! I loved the imagery that was said. So many great statements...by Obama and others. I just need to go back and watch again, since during his speech, the site was having trouble keeping up with the demand. Sure, I could watch all the random people going to their seats!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Micah...I can't believe you were there! What an amazing experience!

Amber said...

crazy what we have gone through in our lives huh? I miss you! give me a call!