Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Oregon 2009 - Day 2

We drove to Astoria (through Portland and Vancouver Washington). When we got there, we made our traditional stop for lunch at The Ship Inn (very good).


This is us driving on the bridge across the mouth of the Columbia River from Astoria to Megler Washington. Now, keep in mind that my worst fear (seriously, I'm terrified of it) is driving off the road and into water. I try to avoid driving by water for this reason. Now look at the photo of the terrifying bridge we were on. We were almost halfway across when my mom took this picture, and look at how much further we have to go! I was driving (because at least then I'm in control of the situation) and it was seriously the scariest thing ever. It gets worse so hold onto your seats...it was the only way back, aside from driving a few hours around...so I had to do it TWICE!


I found this next photo of the bridge (taken from the Astoria side) from the internet so you can see that not only was it LONG and terrifying, but it had a REALLY high scary part too!! The part that looks low against the water is high enough that a motor boat went right under us, so this gives you a perspective about how ridiculously high the other part is.

Are you impressed that I made it across that thing twice AND without any valium?? Yeah, me too!

Here is Daisy and I at Dismal Nitch (which is a good description of how I felt after driving across that bridge). You can see the bridge behind us and part of Astoria behind and to the left.


After a little shopping in Astoria, we headed to Seaside to our hotel. Our hotel is on the beach so we enjoyed some walking and playing on the beach for awhile. Here is Daisy running at me after fetching her brand new purple ball. My favorite part of this photo is that you can see her tracks in the sand. Isn't it beautiful there?? I should seriously move here so Daisy and I can walk and play on the beach every day!


And here is my cute puppy in the hotel room. I just love her!

3 comments:

Shara said...

I guess I'm glad I didn't go with you because I totally wouldn't have gone over the bridge! That looked so scary!

Danae said...

I just want to become an accomplished enough vacationer that I HAVE a "traditional" place to stop for lunch! Sounds like you're having fun!

Joyce said...

I agree with Shara. I'd have to skip that part of the trip that involved crossing that bridge. That's the kind of bride that is in my scariest dreams.